Monday, May 27, 2013

Mini Fried Apple Pies




This is a test post. My first ever BLOG.

My husband came home with a couple of the fried pies that you can buy in the store. They use to be around 5 for $1.00. The calories are crazy about 500 per pie and 27% of your fat calories. Can you say ouch.

I remembered seeing where someone had made a mini version of those pies.

So here is my give it a go. Of course using my new Kitchenaide Mixer.


Just a basic pie crust recipe. 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 sticks butter cold but sliced into chunks, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar. 6 TBSP ice cold water. I put the flour and butter in the electric mixture and mixed till crumbly. Then I added the sugar and salt. Then I started adding the water 1 tbsp at a time till the dough forms. Took it out separated it into 2 balls wrapped in saran wrap and put it in the fridge. 

For the pie filling - 2 apples peeled, cored, and chopped. 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Put them in a sauce pan and let them cook. I stirred it here and there. When the apples were tender I took a potato masher and smashed them till they looked like mush. 

For the icing powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. I didn't measure anything just added powdered sugar and milk till it was the right thickness.
Let the dough chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Roll it out I took a circle cookie cutter it was about a 4-5 inch circle.
Put the filling in the center, roll the dough over, wet the edges a little bit and then crimp with a fork to make the seams.
Heat a little bit of oil in a pan when it is hot I added about 4 - 5 mini pies at a time and fried for about 2-3 minutes per side. I placed paper towels on the wire rack to catch extra grease. When they were still a little warm I spooned the icing over the top. It made about 10 -11. These things didn't stand a chance. They were gone in one evening. Even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment