Friday, July 5, 2013

DIY Fabric Bin


Here is another blast from the past. I love those big tote bins that are fabric covered. I just hate paying for them $20 - $30 for one.

Well I decided to make my own from one of the many empty boxes we always seem to accumulate. Believe it or not this time it wasn't a diaper box.

I took a good sized sturdy box and cut the flaps off. I wasn't to worried about the scraggly pieces because I was going to cover them up. I found a nice striped fabric that I liked and a solid color that matched. I got a yard of the striped and 1/2 yard of the solid. Depending on the size of your box will determine how much fabric you need.



I placed the box in the center of my fabric. Fabric goes pattern side down. I placed the solid color inside the box and started gluing it to the bottoms and the sides. I didn't go all the way up since I was going to bring the striped material down. After the solid was in place I draped the striped over the side. I started gluing it down. I then cut off the excess. I folded where I cut under and glued that down just so I couldn't see my uneven line.


I like the way it looked and currently it is being put to good use storing toys in the playroom.

Have fun..

No comments:

Post a Comment