Thursday, June 20, 2013

Key Lime Sea Turtle Cupcakes







I saw the cutest cupcakes on the allthingscupcakes web site. For some reason when I saw the Sea Turtles I automatically thought Key Lime Pie. Well me and the Lil' LaRoux's decided to give it a go. Husband made a rare appearance.



For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups flour sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla ( I always add a little more) Love the way it smells.
2 tbsp Key Lime juice I found it in the juice aisle.
1 tbsp key lime zest
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) room temp
1 cup sugar
1 lg egg
2 egg whites

For the frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (firm)
pinch of salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla (again I added a smidgen more)
1 tsp key lime juice
1 tbsp key lime zest

For the turtles:
Peach Gummy Rings
Gum Drops
Fruit Slice Wedges
Mini Choco Chips

Pre - heat oven to 350. I used cupcake liners with these cupcakes I sprayed the liners with Pam for baking just so they wouldn't stick.

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside In a small bowl mix the milk, vanilla, key lime juice and zest. Set it aside.

With the electric mixer using the paddle I creamed the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar until mixed and fluffy. Reduce your speed on the mixer and add the egg and egg whites until blended.

Keep the mixer speed on low or you will have a dust cloud. Slowly add half the flour mixture that you set aside earlier. Once blended add the milk mixture that was also set aside. Once blended you can add the remaining flour mixture. I had to stop the mixer and scrap down the sides a few times to make sure it was well blended.

Spoon into your lined muffin pan and place in the oven. Cupcakes are done when the toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting and decorating.

To make the frosting:
Beat together butter and salt until fluffy. Slowly add in the confectioner's sugar again turn the mixer to slow or you will get covered in dust. When combined add the vanilla, key lime juice and zest.

You can adjust the key lime juice in the cake batter and frosting to suite your taste.

This is where I clean up the mess and bath the girls. They are usually covered in something sticky after helping me.


Now to decorate.

Frost the cupcakes once they are cooled. I layered it on pretty thick, so my candies would really stick. I placed the peach gummy ring in the center of the cupcake. The girls then added the gum drop in the center of the ring and the green gum drop for the head. To make the flippers I took the fruit wedges and sliced them , so they kept their shape but were a lot thinner. Should have taken a picture of that part. Next the eyes. I added some of the frosting into a sandwich bag and snipped a lit piece of the corner off. Then I just put a dot on each side of the gum drop and placed a mini choco chip in it.

I think the cupcakes turned out rather well and the girls were very proud of their work.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment